Sunday, May 28, 2017

Melanie's Week in Review - May 28, 2017




Happy bank holiday to me! This is the second bank holiday of May here in the UK and despite rain this morning today was gloriously sunny and warm. I managed not to get too burned while I was watching the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on my iPad outside. Sorry! I wasn't reading and this is part of the reason why I only have 1 book to tell you about this week *gasp*. I am not sure why I only managed to read only 1 book but I have completed a thorough search of all my e-Reader apps and nothing else is popping out saying 'review me, review me!'. So here you go.


Around the time I was having my love affair with the Clovenhoof series I was offered an advance copy of Disenchanted by Heide Goody and Iain Grant. I loved each and every Clovenhoof book I read and I was thrilled to be offered the opportunity (directly from the author) to read a new book from the hilarious writing duo of Goody and Grant.

Ella Hannaford thought she was leading a fairly normal life, had a good job, lived with her Dad and about to suffer the indignity of going to her future mother in law's hen party. Life seemed pretty normal until 7 foul mouthed dwarfs kidnap her from the hen party and drag her to an alternative fairy tale reality. The big bad wolf is the least of Ella's worries when she discovers that her very own fairy godmother is willing to do anything to give her a happily ever after!

I loved every page of every book of the Clovenhoof series and there was lots of lolling and rolfing on public transport. I was expecting to do something similar with Disenchanted but unfortunately, I am one of the very few who didn't find it that funny. I really wanted to find it funny and while I found bits and pieces a bit of a laugh, overall I only found it mildly amusing. I did however, find the concept unique and the authors are very creative. The pace of the story is perfect and I never knew what was going to happen next. If you are looking forward to a light-hearted story, don't mind quite a bit of swearing and like a good fairy tale then give it a read but if you are a big fan and expecting another Clovenhoof then this is your warning that it isn't as funny as that series.


That is it for me this week. Sorry it is so short. You won't hear from me next week (and maybe the week after) as I am off on holiday so see you in a couple of weeks. Happy Reading!





Disenchanted
Pigeon Park Press, February 12, 2017
     Trade Paperback, 288 pages
Pigeon Park Press, May 5, 2017
     Kindle eBook

Ella Hannaford has a small business to run, an overworked father to look after and a future stepmother who wants a perfect wedding.

Can she avoid a girly night out with her clueless stepsister? Can she side-step lovesick suitors at every turn? Not if it’s up to that team of foul-mouthed dwarfs who want to forcibly drag her into her happily ever after.

Gingerbread cottages, dodgy European gangsters, gun-toting grannies, wisecracking wolves, stubborn fairy godmothers, ogres, beanstalks and flying carpets abound in a tale about what happens when you refuse to accept your Happy Ending.

1 comment: